Nocturnist – Alexandria, VA
To our prospective teammates,
I’m the medical director for the hospitalist program at Inova Alexandria Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia, about 15 minutes south of Washington, D.C. I’ve been a part of the Sound Physicians team for seven years and I’m truly proud of the hospital medicine practice we’ve built. We welcome interest from physicians coming out of training or looking to make a career change. I was drawn to Sound by our focus on people, practice, and purpose, and would like to share some details with you as you consider your options.
- We’re a patient-centered team of 16 physicians and 4 advanced practice providers (APPs).
- Our team is comprised of clinicians from diverse geographic, educational, and training backgrounds who go the extra mile and find innovative ways to improve patient care.
- We’re collaborative within the team and with other departments. We feel comfortable sharing with and helping each other.
- I think of myself as a servant-leader. My role is to support and advocate for the team. I personally invest in each one of my team members to ensure they’re achieving the right work-life balance.
- We’re very fortunate to have a site coordinator and clinical performance nurse who help ensure great patient outcomes.
- Our consultants are top-notch. They support our mission by being great collaborators in patient care and over the years have become very close personally to our team.
- Inova Alexandria serves a disadvantaged population, which uniquely positions our team to take care of a diverse community and address health disparities.
- The hospital has a closed ICU with intensivist coverage; however, our team sees sick patients in the immediate care/step-down unit. We’re looking for board-certified and board-eligible candidates who are comfortable caring for complex patients, including transfers in from other facilities. Internal and family medicine candidates are welcome to apply.
- Our hospitalist team is part of the rapid response and code team, and we’re all certified in basic life support and advanced cardiovascular life support. No procedures are required.
- There are two Nocturnists on each night from 7pm to 7am. As a nocturnist on our team, you’ll handle an average of nine admissions and split the floor calls. There is also a swing shift physician who helps provide coverage until midnight. Our schedule is week on/week off with our switch day on Tuesdays.
- We have weekly huddles and monthly team meetings as well as lunch-and-learns to stay current on what’s happening in the field of medicine, at the hospital, and with Sound.
- We work in EPIC, with access to our own internal informatics platform.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, long- and short-term disability, 401k with match, paid medical malpractice and tail coverage, and annual CME allowance.
- We put patients first. Always.
- I came to Sound for our leadership opportunities and have been well supported by our clinical and operational teams. I’ve stayed with Sound because I can count on our organization to do the right thing.
- We value our partnership with the hospital, and our team participates regularly on hospital committees.
- The hospital supports our mission by providing a transitional care clinic so patients can follow through on their personal treatment plans once they’re discharged.
- We value and support growth and development in our hospital medicine practice, allowing you to explore new opportunities locally and within the broader medical group.
Alexandria, Virginia, is known for its rich history, charming cobblestone streets, and well-preserved 18th-century architecture. The waterfront area of Alexandria provides beautiful views of the Potomac River and is a popular spot for recreation and dining. The city is known for its commitment to sustainability and has implemented various eco-friendly initiatives, including bike lanes, public transit options, and green building practices. Alexandria boasts a high standard of living, with a well-developed infrastructure, excellent schools, and a safe community, making it an attractive place for families.
Want to learn more about this opportunity? Reach out to my recruiting partner, who will put you in touch with me.
Dr. O. Famakinwa
Adult Hospitalist Medical Director