Through People, We Make a Difference
Sound Physicians started as a physician founded and led hospital medicine practice in 2001. While Sound has grown significantly since then, our vision of building a great practice is unchanged. A great practice starts by offering a better career model, designed around our vision of improving quality and lowering the cost of care for patients in the communities we serve. When you join Sound Physicians, you will sense a palpable difference in the way we approach hospital medicine from your first day.
Covenant Health, the largest healthcare institution in the West Texas and Eastern New Mexico region, emerged in 1998 through the merger of two esteemed healthcare facilities in Lubbock: St. Mary of the Plains Hospital and Lubbock Methodist Hospital System. St. Mary Hospital, originally established in 1937 as Plains Hospital and Clinic, was acquired by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, California, in 1939 and later became known as Covenant Medical Center–Lakeside. On the other hand, Covenant Medical Center traces its roots back to the 1918 establishment of Lubbock Sanitarium, which evolved into Lubbock General Hospital in 1941 and Lubbock Memorial Hospital in 1945. Ultimately, in 1954, it took on the name Methodist Hospital. Covenant Health proudly operates as a member of St. Joseph Health, one of the most successful not-for-profit health systems in the United States.
- Join this established team of 24 physicians, 8 advanced practitioners, and three clinical performance nurses
- 241-bed, not-for-profit hospital
- No call
- No procedures required
- Open ICU with 24/7 intensivist on staff and excellent sub-specialty backup
- H1B eligible facility; access to Sound’s in-house visa specialists as well as our licensing and credentialing experts; all required filing fees are paid and services covered
- U.S. News & World Report has released the 2021-2022 Best Hospital Rankings and named Covenant Medical Center (CMC) the Best Regional Hospital in the Northwestern Texas Region; CMC is listed as the 18th best hospital in Texas
- The only hospital to receive the Best Hospital ranking in Lubbock and the South Plains region
- Received special designation as High Performing1 in five procedures
- Healthgrades also awarded Covenant Medical Center with the most five-star ratings of any hospital in Lubbock and the region
Commitment to our Front-Line Clinicians
Our physicians and advanced practice providers all strive to improve quality, and we work hard to replicate their best ideas across the organization to improve outcomes for more than one million patients cared for by Sound Physicians annually. Our commitment to improving outcomes for patients is rooted in our ability to attract exceptional people. Great people, coupled with the right tools and development, are how we positively impact healthcare quality, one patient at a time, for millions of patients each year.
- Access to our proprietary learning platform, SoundInstitute™, for continuing education, and professional development with convenient online and in-person educational courses, including CME
- Secure your future via Sound Physicians’ Path to Partnership™ track + attain incentive-based rewards based on performance
Location & Lifestyle
Lubbock, Texas, situated a little over 4 hours away from Dallas, is a thriving city with a population exceeding 320,000 and steadily growing. When considering the surrounding areas, the total population exceeds 1 million. As the 11th largest city in Texas, Lubbock has garnered recognition as the 12th best place to start a small business by CNNMoney. The city’s appeal lies in its favorable business environment, affordable rental rates, central location, and cooperative city government. With its tree-lined streets, Lubbock offers a secure and inviting setting for families looking to establish roots. Notably, Lubbock High School has achieved notable acclaim, being recognized for three consecutive years by Newsweek as one of the top high schools in the United States, in part due to its exceptional international baccalaureate program.