Internal Medicine Chief Resident – Olympia Fields, IL
To prospective Chief Residents:
I am the Residency Program Director for Franciscan Health St. James campus in Olympia Fields, Illinois. I have been a part of Sound Physicians since 2023. I am proud of the internal medicine residency program we have built and welcome interest from third-year residents who want to serve as Chief Resident for the 2024-2025 academic year. I want to share more about it, specifically about our people, practice, and purpose, as you consider your options:
- Sound is comprised of an academic and clinical hospitalist team, meeting the community’s needs and providing education to internal medicine residents.
- We have been partnering with Franciscan Health Olympia Fields since summer 2023, and we have already made great strides in improving patient experience, residency experience, and overall quality outcomes for our teams and the hospital.
- Franciscan Health St. James Olympia Fields campus is home to 45 internal medicine residents. Our hospital also offers residency programs in emergency medicine, general surgery, urology, radiology, and orthopedic surgery. Fellowship programs include critical care, rheumatology, and gastroenterology.
- While our academic partner is Midwestern University, our faculty are employed by Sound.
- Our faculty and clinical teams are highly diverse in education and experience and come from around the world.
- We value our collaboration with the ancillary and nursing staff, other residencies and fellowship programs, and specialists throughout the hospital.
- Our hospital serves patients within our 214-bed facility, and while a sizable portion of our patients are geriatric, we see a wide variety of diagnoses in adults of all ages.
- The Chief Resident of Internal Medicine will serve by completing 85% of faculty/teaching duties and 15% of clinical shifts on a teaching team.
- Serve as clinician-educator and liaison between the IM program and the residents by maintaining the master schedule of the residents and ensuring all ACGME requirements are being met and optimized.
- Work closely with DIO, APD, program director, and faculty in the efficient flow of all processes, representing the residents in meetings around policy, education, and work environment, feedback and problem-solving regarding residents, preparing the educational schedule, etc.
- Delegate roles to the four PGY3 junior chief residents.
- Be present for all didactics and participate as a lecturer during the year.
- Participate in hospital committees based on interest and availability, particularly the patient safety/quality committees.
- Coordinate and facilitate resident recruitment and selection.
- Lead new resident orientation program.
- Expected annual salary is $124,800, plus shift pay for clinical shifts worked. Clinical expectation will be two shifts per month on average.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance, long- and short-term disability, 401k, paid medical malpractice, and tail coverage. All benefits begin on your first day of employment.
- Our patients are at the center of all we do.
- Focusing on growth and development is a key feature of Sound’s practices, where teammates can expand their careers locally and within the broader medical group.
- We are a community-minded team and encourage our team members who want to contribute in and out of the hospital to help make our local community thrive.
More about the community: Olympia Fields, a quaint and affluent village in the southern suburbs of Chicago, boasts a convenient 40-minute proximity to downtown Chicago, facilitated by excellent connectivity to major highways. This charming community is celebrated for its world-class golf courses, having hosted the 2023 PGA Championship, numerous dining options, shopping opportunities, and an impressive amphitheater for concerts—all within a 30-minute drive of Midway Airport. With its well-maintained neighborhoods and accessibility, Olympia Fields stands out as an ideal place, offering residents a serene suburban lifestyle with easy access to amenities.
To learn more, please get in touch with my recruiting partner, who will put you in touch with me.
Farooq Khan, M.D.
Internal Medicine Program Director
Franciscan Health St. James Olympia Fields Campus
Sound Physicians Medical Group