Hospitalist – Winchester, VA
To prospective physician teammates,
I am the medical director for Sound Physicians’ hospitalist program at Winchester Medical Center located in Winchester, VA. I have proudly been a part of Sound for four years and I am excited to extend a warm welcome to physicians coming out of training or desiring a career change. Let me share more about our people, practice, and purpose as you consider your options:
- We are a closely knit, established team of 25 physicians and 2 advanced practice providers, with the support of a clinical performance nurse.
- Our workflow starts the day with nine rounders and our nurse practitioner, who helps with admissions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Our swing physician starts the day at noon for ongoing ER admissions, ICU downgrades, transfers in from satellite facilities, and our two nocturnists take over admissions and cross coverage from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Our group is comprised of providers from different nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Some have been with the team for more than six years, all the way to some celebrating their first year with the group.
- Our hospital partners have developed a fantastic level of collaboration with our team members, from collaborating with practice agreements in patient management to substantial participation in clinical committees as a form of inclusion in decision-making for patient wellbeing and hospital policy.
- We proudly sponsor H1B and J1 visa candidates, and Sound has excellent in-house visa specialists as well as our licensing and credentialing experts. All required filing fees for the visa are paid, and services are covered by Sound.
- We welcome the challenge of complex cases, working in a closed ICU with intensivist coverage during the day and E-ICU coverage at night (our team is not expected to do procedures or run codes).
- We collaborate with APPs and welcome individuals passionate about teaching to join our team.
- We have weekly team huddles to review important quick points and as a check-in with the team, as well as monthly team meetings with guest speakers from the hospital and teambuilding activities to improve awareness, focus on education, and empowerment of our team.
- Recognizing the importance of family and spending time outdoors, we offer a flexible schedule. We’re always there to support each other when covering shifts.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, long- and short-term disability, 401k with match, paid medical malpractice and tail coverage, and annual CME allowance.
- Our patients always come first, and we are dedicated to achieving excellent patient outcomes through collaborative care.
- A focus on growth and development is key feature of Sound’s practices, where teammates can expand their careers here locally and within the broader medical group.
- Community is at the core of our values, and we actively support involvement and contributions to community health and wellness both inside and outside the hospital.
Winchester, VA, allures residents with its rich history, offering a quaint downtown and numerous Civil War sites. Nestled in the Shenandoah Valley, it provides a serene setting, affordable living, and easy access to outdoor activities, making it an appealing choice for those seeking a blend of history, natural beauty, and a tight-knit community.
To learn more, please reach out to my recruiting partner, who will put you in touch with me.
Dr. Sandra Donahue