Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant – Charlevoix, MI
To prospective teammates,
I’m the System Medical Director for Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital in Charlevoix, Michigan. I have been a part of Sound’s hospitalist practice for nine years, and I welcome interest from advanced practice providers (APPs) desiring a career change. I’d like to share more about it, specifically about our people, practice, and purpose, as you consider options:
- We are a closely knit, established team of two advanced practice providers, with the support of a System Medical Director and a discharge planner nurse.
- Our team grew up in the surrounding communities that we serve. Many of our colleagues are from other areas but had rotations/ vacations in the area and wanted to come back to be part of this great community.
- In this 18-bed, critical access hospital, we are all very involved in the community and hospital.
- Northern Michigan is an excellent place to bring up families and enjoy free time. The change in seasons brings a variety of outdoor activities to enjoy, including boating/swimming in Lake Charlevoix, hiking/biking on trails, and skiing at multiple resorts nearby. The local communities have farmer markets, community events, and arts/concerts near Traverse City and Petoskey.
- We practice independently in an observation unit. As there is a lack of specialty support at this site, our patients are typically of lower acuity.
- We have a great relationship with and work closely with the ED providers and the local orthopedic and general surgical groups.
- We work 12-hour shifts. We do not work strictly on a seven-on/seven-off schedule but work as a team to arrive at a schedule that works well for both providers while still meeting our contracted number of shifts.
- We often must facilitate the transfer of patients to our regional centers for a higher level of care.
- We use Cerner Powerchart for an EMR at this site.
- Most of us like to spend time with our families or outdoors, so a flexible schedule is available, and we cover for each other when we’re out.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, and AD&D insurance, long- and short-term disability, 401k with match, paid medical malpractice and tail coverage, and annual CME allowance.
- We put patients first. Always.
- A focus on growth and development is a key feature of Sound’s practices, where teammates can expand their careers here locally and within the broader medical group.
- We’re a community-minded team and encourage our team members who want to contribute in and out of the hospital to help make our local community thrive.
More about our community: Charlevoix, Michigan, captures the hearts of residents with its enchanting waterfront views along Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix. Known for its unique “round lake” setting, residents enjoy scenic beauty and recreational opportunities, including boating and charming downtown strolls. The town’s vibrant arts scene, festivals, and welcoming community create a lively atmosphere, making Charlevoix desirable for those seeking a picturesque, culturally rich, and friendly Northern Michigan experience.
To learn more, please get in touch with my recruiting partner, who will put you in touch with me.
Paul Cunningham, PA-C
System Medical Director