Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant – Emergency Medicine
Thrive Where Contributions Are Rewarded and Valued
Hospital emergency departments have become the source of the majority of hospital admissions, so continually striving to improve outcomes in the emergency department is key to a hospital’s success. With the goal of always improving patient care and experience, our processes streamline transitions from the emergency department to inpatient admissions. We believe that clinical integration between emergency medicine and hospital medicine teams is imperative. Using our proven processes, our clinical teams align to streamline inter-department handoffs, and improve clinical performance, and patient experience.
Sound Physicians’ nurse practitioners and physician assistants enjoy a key role in driving improvements in acute care, alongside our emergency medicine physicians. In support of our core values, we ensure our advanced practice providers have the time and resources needed to deliver compassionate care. You will be involved with driving improvements in quality, patient satisfaction, and aligning with hospital leadership in achieving the goals set for the team.
Swedish American Hospital is a 357-bed, non-profit, teaching hospital serving the greater Rockford region, northern Illinois, and southern Wisconsin. As a division of the University of Wisconsin Health, Swedish offers patients local access to many world-class specialists. The hospital is also the largest regional cancer center and the only heart hospital in the region.
- 33-bed, highly functional ED with outstanding subspecialty support; Level II trauma center
- 64,000 ED volume
- No call environment; Not required to respond to codes or assist with procedures outside of the ED
- Integrated care program – Sound manages the hospitalist, emergency medicine, advisory, and telemedicine services
- All APPs work a variety of shifts day and night, 9-10 hours shifts
- Highly collegial environment
- Access SoundInstitute™ learning platform for continuing education and professional career development with convenient online and in-person educational courses, including CME
Requirements of Advanced Practitioners
The Sound Physicians’ emergency medicine leadership recognizes the medical team as key to the success of our hospital partnerships. The clinical onboarding of all our nurse practitioners and physician assistants is a coordinated process that recognizes the skill level of the APP based on a tiered approach to their clinical experience. While the EM APP onboarding program is standardized, it is guided and overseen at the site level by site-specific leaders.
- Collaborate with fellow APPs and physicians in managing a thriving and very busy ED
- Opportunity to mentor NP/PA students that rotate through the ED and also learn procedures if that is of interest
- A current, unrestricted license in Illinois. ED experience is preferred; prior experience as a scribe or RN will be considered.
- ACLS/BLS/PALS required
Location & Lifestyle
Rockford, Illinois is located 90 miles NW of Chicago and has a population of just under 150,000. There is a small-town friendliness mixed with vibrancy from a richness of natural sites and intellectual institutions with diverse cultures and businesses. Rockford offers an excellent place to live, work, and play. Rockford has fantastic schools, a local symphony, a community theatre, and a university.
- Chicago O’Hare is 60 minutes, Madison, WI airport is also 60 minutes
- Elgin/Schaumburg suburbs of Chicago are 58 miles away