Critical Care nurse practitioner / physician assistant job in St. Louis, Missouri
As an Advance Practice Provider (APP) with Sound Physicians, you will work in an environment that promotes the Sound Core Values of integrity, teamwork, service, quality and innovation enjoying a sustainable career with programs consistently staffed to levels that facilitate a manageable workload for our Intensivist teams.
The Critical Care APP works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team under the direction of the Intensivist. You will practice evidence based medicine in keeping with protocols and processes designed and utilized by Sound Physicians' Critical Care program in the ICU.
The Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant Role
The Critical Care AP manages the critical care related problems and diagnoses patients assigned by the Intensivist. The Critical Care AP will also assist and perform procedures in the ICU, under the supervision of the Intensivist. Additionally, the Critical Care MLP will perform daily follow up visits to select patients, chosen by the Intensivist, who have been transferred out of the ICU to a step down unit to help in the transition of care and to prevent ICU readmission.
- 476 bed, Level II trauma center
- Comprehensive health care center with state-of-the-art comprehensive programs to include: Robotic Surgery Institute, Neurosciences Institute, Heart Institute (offering the latest in minimally invasive valve replacement and repair)
- Subspecialty programs including, but not limited to: Orthopedics, Cancer Care, Breast Care, Maternity Care, Surgical Services, Behavioral Health Services, Center for Sleep Disorders, Imaging Services, Weight-Loss Institute and Pain Care Center
- Medical/Surgical/Cardiac ICUs
- 4 Physician, 2 Advanced Practitioner Intensivist Team
- 24/7 coverage model with 12-hour block shift schedule with dedicated time off
Education, Training & Experience Required
- Valid Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Certification
- Active Missouri License
- Must maintain active BLS/ACLS certification
- Must have prior experience working in an acute care hospital in an ICU setting
- Must be able to independently assess, examine and work-up acutely ill patients and be able to review and discuss each patient in a competent manner with the Intensivist on duty
- Must be competent at utilizing computer platforms used for the electronic medical record, dictation system, radiology reviewing software, and must have neat and legible handwriting
- Must possess the ability to work autonomously and multitask with minimal supervision
- Must have a friendly, professional demeanor (dress, timeliness, and interactions with hospital and Intensivist staff) and maintain positive working relationships with the medical, surgical and nursing staff, as well as other members of the multidisciplinary care team
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Ability to work as a team member
- Must have a commitment to excellence in clinical service, be forward thinking and demonstrate problem solving abilities necessary in this environment
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform all technical skills in the critical care setting
Location and Lifestyle
The hospital is located in a welcoming suburb of St. Louis, serving patients across the St. Louis metropolitan area. Conveniently located near local and international transportation hubs, the community offers a diverse array of housing options in the immediate area as well as throughout the metro St. Louis area. New construction and historic homes abound, in addition to community style living. St. Louis offers a rich history and cultural diversity for individuals and families of all backgrounds.